Online processing of income tax returns for the Government of India
The Income Tax department is a government body, and an arm of the Central Board of Revenue of India. It is responsible for administering the Income Tax Act as per the Constitution of India.
The Income Tax department needed a comprehensive system for e-filing, processing and refunding of income tax returns. It was also looking to expedite these processes.
- Expediting the processing of returns and issue of refunds, thereby encouraging tax payers to e-file returns
- Developing software to process income tax returns and tax accounting
- Data entry of income tax returns filed electronically and manually
The Infosys team set up an IT-CPC, a centralized processing center for all IT-related processes where all the filed returns were directed validated, scanned, digitized, processed, and printed.
- The team managed the project management office (PMO) activity involving coordination between client and vendors, which was vital to implement the project
- Created the solution for transitioning the process from local location to the CPC that included receipt of electronic returns directly to CPC
- Worked with the client and ITL to create technological infrastructure for execution of activities
- Managed the contractual and legal provisions of the work order with various vendors
- Regularly monitored the quality and productivity of various vendors with the help of audit team
- Reduced more than 70 percent throughput time from the existing process
- Savings to the magnitude of INR 180 million per year by reduction in interest payments due to high processing speed
- Management of 60 million paper records – the world’s first ISO 15489 certified record management process
- Over 15 million transactions processed every year
- 15 percent of process efficiency improvement achieved over 3 years of operations
Infosys BPM India Business