Infosys BPO Limited Jaipur Building Earns LEED India "Platinum" Rating
The first Platinum rated building for Infosys; to be the basis for all future Infosys buildings
Bangalore, India - December 15, 2010: Infosys BPO Limited, the business process outsourcing subsidiary of Infosys Technologies Limited, has won the 'Platinum' rating by Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for its building in Jaipur, India. Platinum certification is the highest level of green building certification under the Indian Green Building Council's LEED rating system. The LEED Green Building System is an internationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
Built on a total floor area of 3,30,000 square feet, the Infosys BPO building in Jaipur is one of the largest platinum rated buildings in India. The building was conceived and built with a holistic approach to sustainability in five key areas: sustainable site development, water saving, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality. This building is expected to consume 30% less energy as compared to the base case building, as per ASHRAE 90.1-2004 requirements.
Salient features of the Infosys BPO building in Jaipur include:
- Efficient building envelope: High performance building envelope consisting of insulated walls and spectrally selected windows with a low window to wall ratio, reduces the total heat gain in the building.
- Efficient lighting & equipment: Lighting design of 0.65 watts per square foot achieving 40% improvement over traditional designs. Lighting design coupled with the use of 5-star rated, energy efficient computers reduces energy load as well as internal heat gains.
- Efficient air-conditioning: Air-conditioning system equipped with multi-stage air handling units which operate on free cooling, evaporative cooling and air-conditioning modes during nights and winters, achieving more than 30% efficiency over a traditional system.
- Onsite renewable energy: A battery-free 250 KW roof top solar photovoltaic installation meeting 7.5% of the total power requirement is being provided, taking advantage of the high solar insolation in Jaipur.
- Low energy materials: 13% of the total material is recycled material, thereby reducing virgin material exploitation. 80% of the total material is manufactured locally and over 59% of this material has also been extracted regionally, thereby reducing the pollution due to transportation.
- Water sustainability: 57 interconnected recharge wells have been built across the campus to capture & sequester every drop of rain water. Low flow dual-flush toilets, sensor based urinals and other water efficient fixtures have been provided, reducing water consumption by over 40%. Sewage water is treated in the state-of-the-art Membrane Bio Reactor (MBR) plant and reused for flushing and air-conditioning. 100% of the water required for landscaping is from treated water and no potable water is used.
Commenting on the certification, Ramadas Kamath, SVP - Administration, Infrastructure & Security at Infosys Technologies said, "We are committed to preserving the environment and hence we are constantly working towards minimizing our electricity and water consumption, and promoting biodiversity with the long term goal of becoming a carbon and water neutral company. Energy consumption by buildings constitutes more than 40% of global CO2 emissions; hence we are investing heavily in green buildings and working on existing ones to reduce our energy consumption. Jaipur is the starting point of our journey towards high performance buildings. Our endeavour is to ensure that all our new buildings meet the highest standards of LEED/GRIHA certification. We hope that our achievement will pave the way for more such initiatives in the industry".
Speaking about the focus on environmental sustainability at Infosys, (Swami) Swaminathan, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Infosys BPO said, "The issue of environmental degradation is a serious one, and at Infosys, we strongly believe that everyone at all levels needs to contribute towards protection and preservation of the environment. As a corporate citizen with a conscience, Infosys is committed to reducing the ecological impact of its operations".